Windows Binaries for GMP 4.2.2

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Thu Sep 20 10:51:17 CEST 2007

Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> You need to also publish along with these binaries the LGPL 3 license
> and either the sources used for compiling these binaries, or
> instructions how to obtain these sources.
>
> Please remember that GMP is not in the public domain.  It is GNU
> licensed Free Software, and this license requires that everybody that
> gets binaries or sources are informed about their rights that the
> license gives them.

Thank you for this reminder, Torbjorn, I will modify the ZIP packages to
include LGPL 3.

Thanks also to Alexey and others for raising the issue of the
relationship between the source code licensed under the LGPL 3 license
and that licensed under the terms of the Microsoft VC++
redistributables.  I had not realised that this had become an issue but
a bit of googling suggests that it has generated quite a bit of debate
in recent months but, sadly, no clear conclusions (as far as I can see).

Anyway, my intention is to add a short note linking to all the sites
where the components used to build these distributions are available
(GMP, MPFR, the VC++ redistributables and my build projects), making it
clear that: (a) it is the responsibility of anyone who uses these binary
distributions to ensure that their use complies with all the individual
licensing terms for these components, and (b) neither I nor the
organisations hosting these distributions provide any assurances of any
kind in respect of such matters.

If anyone feels that this is insufficient, please do let me know.

My thanks again to Torbjorn and Alexey for rasing these issues.

     Brian Gladman