Question on using GMP built with Cygwin

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 13 03:23:50 CEST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Saunders" <evas at mountaincable.net>
To: <gmp-discuss at swox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:40 PM
Subject: Question on using GMP built with Cygwin

>I just got a new computer and I'm running Vista 64 bit.  I used to build
>GMP
> using MSYS, but it does not run on my system so I'm building GMP using
> Cygwin.

If you want msys on Vista 64, install from msys-1.0.11.exe and then install
the patched files provided by Cesar Strauss. I don't think the post-install
procedure runs correctly - in which case you'll want to create etc/fstab
(see etc/fstab.sample). For Cesar's patched files go to:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82724&release_id=158862
and select the MSYS-1.0.11-20070729.tar.bz2 file.

Then, unpack the files into your existing msys bin directory.
It should overwrite the files:

msys-1.0.dll
mount.exe
ps.exe

That done, and the msys shell should work fine for you - at least for static
builds of GMP. For shared (dynamic) builds of GMP, I find that 'make check'
misbehaves.

It's also possible to cross-compile GMP for native windows from Cygwin. In
cygwin's bash shell (on the Vista 64 box) I built a static GMP library for
Win32 by running:

./configure --disable-shared --enable-static --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin
CC='gcc -mno-cygwin ' host_alias=i686-pc-mingw32

I know very little about cross-compilation, and I think that command might
contain some redudancies .... but it seemed to work well enough for me. (I
didn't try a shared build.)

Cheers,
Rob