Pentium M and P4 question / and a failed test

Jan Doornaert jan.doornaert at programmer.net
Tue Oct 2 12:55:12 CEST 2007

Josh,

The Pentium-M supports the P4 instruction set, but some instructions
which are very "efficient" on the P4 are rather "inefficient" in the P-M.
So code optimised for the P4 may run slower than code optimised for the
P3.
I think there's support for the P-M in GCC, though I don't know from
which version on.

BTW: I was not aware to have replied in private to you - will reply to
everyone from now on (I blame it on the clunky mail.com interface ;-).

The floating mode may indeed bite you - as I develop, compile and run
under Linux (Ubuntu), I'm afraid I cannot be of much help to you there...

CU, JDO