GMP, MPFR and VS version compatibility

Michael Abshoff Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Jul 13 02:15:37 CEST 2007

Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 12:36:34AM +0200, Michael Abshoff wrote:
>> I get payed to work in an open source project with a big, big corporate
>> client that runs our software (that uses gmp) on Windows and 64 bit
>> support is essential. Suggesting that they switch to Linux or MacOSX
>> would
>> get us laughed out of the door.
>
> Totally off-topic, but I'd be curious to know why.

It is more a workstation load with GUI interaction. I can't talk about the
details.

> I understand that if
> this thing is some client that needs to be installed on thousands of
> desktops, then Linux is not an option.  But if you write back and say
> that this is for some server, then I'd really like to know the details.
> Linux servers seem commonplace, and not normaly a laughing matter.

Well, just buying a Mac in that company (to run Windows officially) lead
to 6 months of paperwork and in the end a big no, because it wasn't an
approved vendor. They run big Linux clusters for certain workloads, but
for the workstation loads we are looking at they run Windows. In the mid
to late nineties they had some of the first big commercial Linux clusters
(thing 256-1024 Beowulf nodes). Getting any piece of non-approved software
installed on Workstations (think cygwin for example or even a library like
Qt) involves lawyers due to liability and all kinds of crazy international
laws, mostly from the States - think boycott and all the countries on this
planet you cannot legally export American software to.

> (I work in a division whose profits come solely from Linux server sales,
> and so I have a vested interest in finding out the answer...)

I am as pro Linux/Unix as they come, but it will take a while until we
achieve world domination ;)

> --linas

I will shut up now.

Cheers,