gmp [library] version numbers

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Wed Jan 10 21:09:01 CET 2007

Hi!

Hugh Sasse wrote:

>>>If it is a simple rename, could this be added to the web page, please?
>>>

>>$ objdump -x /usr/lib/libgmp.so |grep SONAME
>>SONAME libgmp.so.3
>>

>  SONAME      libgmp.so.3
>agrees...  So something internal must be tweaked.

Some configury would have to be tweaked.

>>So you can rename it to libgmp.so.3.<n>, but not to libgmp.so.4.<m>,
>>without seriously confusing your dynamic linker.
>>

>Where n is 4.2.1, 2.1, or what?  That's just confused *me* :-)

2.1.

>>If at all, this is a bug in the configure script you're having there.
>>

>Would it help to see the guile configure script chunk that deals with
>this?  I'm inclined to think that if the libraries are written to disk
>with names of the form 3.* for version 4.* it won't be just guile that
>gets confused.  The website remark about these being very wrong suggest
>the problem belongs to gmp.

In general, the version of the library (4.2.1, in your case) has nothing
to do with the library name (which suggests 3.4.1, in your case). The
latter has to do with library interfaces as seen by linkers. Please
refer to the libtool documentation, the section about "library interface
versions".

Changing GMP for release 4.2.2 would be bad because that would hurt
distributions: it would not be possible to provide drop-in replacement
upgrade packages. Hence, I think the bug is in guile's configury.

-richy.

--
Richard B. Kreckel
<http://www.ginac.de/~kreckel/>