Probably an FAQ: GMP version vs. library version

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Wed Apr 4 20:48:32 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 10:57, Laurent Fousse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * David Gillies [Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:12:01AM -0600]:
> > This probably belongs in the FAQ section on the website: why did GMP
> > library versions stick at 3 when GMP itself is at v4.2.x?
>
> That's because they correspond to different concepts. The library
> version denotes a compatibility in the function interface which can
> stay the same when the internals of each function change a lot (and
> hence, the "global" version number is increased).
>
> I'm not sure it needs a FAQ item as those who should be concerned
> about this discrepancy are the same who should know that it does not
> matter.

I suggest it should be a FAQ item for exactly the reason you give for
why it should not.

Those who have a justified concern about the discrepancy already know
the answer (or should do) but those likely not to know the answer should
be educated before they ask anyone else.  In particular, they should
learn that it doesn't matter for the most part and, more importantly,
*why* it doesn't matter.

Paul