Probably an FAQ: GMP version vs. library version

Laurent Fousse laurent at komite.net
Wed Apr 4 11:57:44 CEST 2007

Hello,

* David Gillies [Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:12:01AM -0600]:
> This probably belongs in the FAQ section on the website: why did GMP
> library versions stick at 3 when GMP itself is at v4.2.x?

That's because they correspond to different concepts. The library
version denotes a compatibility in the function interface which can
stay the same when the internals of each function change a lot (and
hence, the "global" version number is increased).

I'm not sure it needs a FAQ item as those who should be concerned
about this discrepancy are the same who should know that it does not
matter.

Laurent.