configure failure

Torbjorn Granlund tg-this-will-bounce-but-I-am-subscribed-to-the-list-honest at swox.com
Sat Dec 2 12:46:21 CET 2006

Paul Leyland <paul at leyland.vispa.com> writes:

  On the other hand, I have seen people on the GMP lists offering to add
  the materials to the GMP distribution which are necessary for making
  installation of GMP under Windows as easy as it is under a Unix-like
  operating system.  At least one person (Francesco Montorsi, in September
  2004) has offered to provide all the support needed, requiring only
  incorporation of his stuff into the dist kit and without requiring you
  to provide any support at all.  You declined his offer.

If you have any insight in the process of releasing a package such as
GMP, you ought to understand why.

I have a long term goal with GMP, and in the end it would be me that
had to maintain such a thing.  And while some nice windos user on the
net maintained it, releases would nevertheless be upheld waiting for
this guy.

And, as everybody should know that can read installation instructions:
GMP is supported on windos.  It requires a compiler, make, and m4.
Sheesh!

I am glad Unix users are not as discontent as windos users.  Then we
would be discussing complaints about that "I want to build my GMP with
a Perl script", and "I want to click on an icon to install my GMP".
These people have a build metod, and they use it.

  > Is a Ford wheel designed as if every car looks like a Ford?

  Are Ford wheels usable on, say, a Honda, without an interface kit made
  by a reasonably skilled mechanic in a workshop?  I don't know the
  answer, but I am willing to take a guess.

  All this is getting seriously off topic.

Ford wheels maybe, but GMP's windos support is unfortunately not off
topic.  But one would think that my stance on that subject is enough
well-known that further whining could me made off-list...

Here is a divination: I will not wake up one day and think "Oh yes, we
should have redundant windos compile methods in GMP!"