configure failure

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Sat Dec 2 11:55:51 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 09:58, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> Paul Leyland <paul at leyland.vispa.com> writes:
>
>   Good luck.  It can be non-trivial trying to install software which is
>   designed around the paradigm that "every operating system looks like
>   Unix".  To forestall the inevitable protests, I'll state that it can be
>   non-trivial to work around the assumption that "everyone runs Windows".
>   I have personal experience in both camps and feel the pain of each.
>
> Well, GMP is part of the GNU project, and is mainly aimed at working
> with GNU.
>
> It is just rude to say that it is designed using the paradigm that
> "every operating system looks like Unix".

Perhaps so.  If you took offence, I apologise.

On the other hand, I have seen people on the GMP lists offering to add
the materials to the GMP distribution which are necessary for making
installation of GMP under Windows as easy as it is under a Unix-like
operating system.  At least one person (Francesco Montorsi, in September
2004) has offered to provide all the support needed, requiring only
incorporation of his stuff into the dist kit and without requiring you
to provide any support at all.  You declined his offer.

> Is a Ford wheel designed as if every car looks like a Ford?

Are Ford wheels usable on, say, a Honda, without an interface kit made
by a reasonably skilled mechanic in a workshop?  I don't know the
answer, but I am willing to take a guess.

All this is getting seriously off topic.

Paul