GMP v MPFR

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Tue Apr 11 23:08:10 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 12:19:35PM +0200, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> linas at austin.ibm.com (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> Your ire was probably the least the mpfr developers wanted when they
> made this library free to use for you and the rest of the community.
>
> I know, from substantial experience, that much frustration can be
> spared by reading the fine manuals that come with most free software.
>
> An another piece of advice: You're certainly going to be taken more
> seriously if you write POLITE messages and send the to the CORRECT
> list.

Well, I've certainly received a lot of hate-mail over this thread.
(Some of it delivered personally, off-list).  As an outsider, I don't
understand why this seems to have provoked such a strong reaction.

To be clear:
-- I did not start this conversation, someone else did.
   I merely replied to an ongoing discussion thread.
   Which was occuring on this list, and not on another list.

-- "RTFM" is a marvelous suggestion if and when one has
   already bought into an idea or concept. However,
   the "fine manual" should at least have a more-or-less
   complete summary and description of what it contains.
   Which seems to be lacking.

   I was attempting to be helpful by suggesting that the
   MPFR main web-page is a bit opaque in its presentation.
   As a gmp user, I thought I might be a part of the "target
   audience" for MPFR, a potential future MPFR user. However,
   I had trouble discerning this from what is posted there.

-- I am sorry if I was perceived as being rude.  I had
   no intention of being rude or insulting. My commentary
   was meant to be honest, casual and direct.

   By contrast, I've received a number of condescending
   and rude replies, two of which called me outright stupid.
   I can only guess that I must have hit some nerve.
   For this, I apologize.

Linas.