Simple question about MPFR vs. GMP

Laurent Fousse laurent at komite.net
Sat Apr 8 00:09:33 CEST 2006

Hello,

* Linas Vepstas [Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:52:44AM -0500]:
>   Exactly HOW is MPFR better than GMP? Why, as a programmer,
>   should I care about exact rounding?
>
> If I'm writing a program to compute some function to 400
> decimal places, I have to do a fair bit of logic and thinking
> to make sure I actually obtained 400 bits of accuracy.

Among other things, correct rounding on elementary functions helps you
to actually perform this "fair bit of thinking". Unfortunately, it
won't do it for you. I suggest to move the discussion to the MPFR
mailing list if you want to have more advocacy of correct rounding.

Laurent.