MPFR 2.2.0 Release Candidate

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Thu Sep 15 14:51:27 CEST 2005

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> The release of MPFR 2.2.0 is imminent. Please help to make this
> release as good as possible by downloading and testing this
> release candidate:

All tests passed also on an AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246 (x86_64)
running SuSE 9, with GCC version version 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux).
The only glitch was that neither

   ./configure --prefix=/home2/bagnara

nor

  ./configure --prefix=/home2/bagnara --with-gmp-dir=/home2/bagnara

succeeded in finding GMP, but

  ./configure --prefix=/home2/bagnara --with-gmp-include=/home2/bagnara/include \
      --with-gmp-lib=/home2/bagnara/lib

did work.  Since GMP was indeed configured with --prefix=/home2/bagnara,
this seems to indicate that MPFR's --with-gmp-dir option is not working
as expected.  In this respect, let me mention that in the Parma Polyhedra
Library project (http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/) our life changed when we
adopted Bruno Haible's macros (distributed with gettext).
In

   http://www.cs.unipr.it/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ppl/m4/

see the files lib-*.m4 and, for an example of use,
the file ac_check_gmp.m4.  Apart from the big advantage that, in our
experience, they work no matter how hairy is the environment in which
they operate, they also implement the assumption that the --prefix
argument is a good place to look for things (if the user wants to install
MPFR there, it is quite likely he has already installed GMP there).
All the best,

    Roberto

--
Prof. Roberto Bagnara