[patrick.pelissier@gmail.com: Fwd: Optimizing 1/x]

Paul Zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann at loria.fr
Mon Sep 12 09:36:31 CEST 2005

Patrick Pe'lissier forwarded me the following mail (I'm not on gmp-discuss).
Two remarks:

* what GMP needs is a fast inverse at the mpn level, which would compute,
  given a n-limb normalized input d, a n-limb quotient q (plus possibly one
  carry bit), and a n-limb remainder 0 <= r < d, such that

  2^(2*n*mp_bits_per_limb) = q * d + r.

  With such a function, computing 1/x in mpf would become easy.

* Newton's iteration isn't currently implemented in GMP, even for the
  integer division. The main reason is that you need to carefully analyze
  the roundoff errors to get a correct answer (as in the above proposal).
  I've implemented several variants which are quite fast; however the
  fastest known algorithm is currently under a patent from HP, and I failed
  so far to obtain a license for use within GMP...

Paul Zimmermann