Second try: Help setting install_name?

Wade Williams wadesworld at mac.com
Tue Oct 25 16:31:21 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to bundle libgmp into my application on OS X 10.4.2, using
gcc 4.0.0.  It is a common desire of OS X developers to bundle libgmp
into their application, so if this can be fixed (whether actually
fixed in the distribution or just documented how to fix it yourself)
it will greatly help OS X developers.

Essentially, what needs to be done is change this portion of the
linker command:

-lc -install_name  /usr/local/lib/libgmp.3.dylib -
compatibility_version 7 -current_version 7.3

to:

-lc -install_name  @executable_path/../Frameworks/libgmp.3.dylib -
compatibility_version 7 -current_version 7.3

I've tried to modify several places in the Makefile, but I've failed
and suspect autoconf is getting the best of me.

If the fix were to be permanent, then perhaps the install could be
modified to have a flag which allows you to specify the install_name
when running ./configure.  If not, then if someone can help me figure
out where to change it, I'll make sure the answer is findable through
a google search.

Can anyone give any advice on what I might change to affect the
install_name?

Thanks,

Wade