May I borrow your G5?

Richard Cavell richardcavell at mail.com
Wed May 4 15:52:22 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I have some code which contains a loop that has some 64-bit-math in it.  I've compiled it and benchmarked it with GNU GCC on a G4.  Obviously it would be faster if it ran on a 64-bit processor, but I want to know how much
faster.

The code is 550 lines long.  It's for factorising large numbers.  It currently takes 88 seconds to run on my G4.  It uses about 200 kilobytes of RAM and shouldn't access the hard disk or any of your precious hardware.  You can
of course read the source code to make sure, before you compile it.  I've written it on XCode 1.5 running GCC 3.3.  It uses gmp.h but GMP's not critical to the bit that I want to benchmark so we can remove that part.

Does someone with a G5, or even a 64-bit x86, wish to benchmark it for me?