GMP vs BN

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Wed Mar 16 11:11:49 CET 2005

mts.spb.suxx at mail.ru writes:

  Hello Torbjorn,

  TG> Again, GMP outperforms OpenSSL. On average about twice as fast.

  TG> This can continue with many platforms.  On OpenSSL's home turf
  TG> (RSA), GMP 4.1.4 is usually between 2 and 3 times faster.

  TG> That factor will substantially increase in the future.  :-)

  Is OpenSSL (and OpenSSH too) command aware of this?
  Or they have "their own pride" and will never use GMP?
  Or is it the licensing issue?

I believe they are aware of the performance problems.

I know they are considering to switch to GMP (or so they have
told me several times in the past).  That seems to imply that the
license isn't a concern for them.