Looking for advice on writing a high-speed, 64-bit, 2^n modulo q

Richard Cavell richardcavell at mail.com
Fri Mar 11 08:19:16 CET 2005

> Unfortunately, I'm far from an experienced assembly language
> programmer these days.  (It was different 20 years ago!)

It certainly was.  I can code 68000 assembly faster and more precisely than I can any other language.  But assembly is a black art these days.

> All of which leads to my question, which is a request for advice,

Firstly, do a profile of your code and work out where the bus cycles are going.

Secondly, recode it in C.  That is, get rid of all the GMP calls.  Do that before doing any assembly.