Storing and retrieving

mrgrynch@comcast.net mrgrynch at comcast.net
Sat Jul 2 17:33:22 CEST 2005

Thanks for the information!  I am currently already using the C++ wrappers that come with GMP.  So far, I've wirtten the code to stream these text values to a file.  The question arises when I read them back...

Can I just read the value in and set an mpf_class to that string value, and be comfortable that the conversion will work?  The documentation for this is a bit confusing for me, as it says...

int mpf_set_str (mpf t rop, char *str, int base) [Function]
Set the value of rop from the string in str. The string is of the form `M at N' or...., if the base is 10 or less, alternatively `MeN'.
Assuming I am using base 10, then I believe what this means is I can just call this method with a number like "-3.17335744356735673e-14", and it will properly set the destination object to that value, assuming a suitable precision level of the destination structure.
Am I correct in this?  If I am, then I think I've all I need to do what I need.
 -Dave