trying to get gmp running

Karlkneile@aol.com Karlkneile at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 04:06:52 CEST 2005

I am having problems getting gmp up and running.  The description of  my
problem is both below and in the attached file.  The attachment is a  wordpad text
file. I'm not certain which is the preferred mode in this  forum.  I'm sure I
made a simple error, but I'm at a loss what to try  next.

I am trying to get gmp running on my system.

cygwin ver 2.457.2.2 with windows XP.
gcc-g++-3.4.4-1
gmp-4.1.4

gcc was downloaded and installed thru cygwin
it appears to be working  OK

gmp was downloaded from swox
I didn't find it at cygwin; is it  there?
gmp was installed using ./configure
followed by a make
make  check gave all passes

I tried the following program  "progname"

  #include <stdio.h>
#include <gmp.h>

  main()
{
mpz_t  n;
mpz_init(n);
}

c++   -I/gmp-4.1.4   progname

I had to use the -I option for c++ to find the gmp.h file
Could I  have installed it differently to avoid this?

The above resulted the error: undefined reference to '___gmpz_int'
I  tried using -L/libgmp.la without any change

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a better way to install gmp?
I am not  a systems person; just a c++ user that would like to have  gmp.