64-bit GMP on Apple G5/OS X v10.4

pbmcl at netscape.net pbmcl at netscape.net
Thu Apr 28 07:52:12 CEST 2005

Torbjorn Granlund <tege at swox.com> wrote:

>pbmcl at netscape.net writes:
>
>  The 64-bit build of Paul Zimmerman's
>  GMP-ECM program runs 2.2 to 2.3 times faster than the 32-bit
>  version.
>
>That's a fair speedup.  With tailored assembly code for the 970,
>it should be possible to reach over 3x speedup.
>
>Have you tried running GMPbench with your changes?

Not yet. I'll try it this weekend and compare it to the numbers that have been posted for the 970 at 2.5 GHz. If there is much difference I'll send in the numbers.

>   ... a file named G5_64bit_patches.txt which has all of the configuration and
>     code patches needed for existing GMP-4.1.4 files.
>
>Would you, and your employer, be willing to sign the configure
>changes over to the FSF?

Yes, of course! This work was done on my own machine on my own time, so there is no employer involved. If this email is good enough, then you have my permission. Otherwise, let me know what you need from me.

>(I am not certain they will be useful in their present state,
>since we've rewritten the configuration system in the development
>sources.)

If you need a tester for your new config scheme on my machine,  I'll be happy to try it.

>I notice that you've dropped many copyright years from the
>assembly code.  That's not good.  You need to preserve such
>things when editing GPL files.

Oops! Sorry. I didn't notice that the dates change from file to file. I started with the generic C files and just copied in the corresponding assembly code from mpn/powerpc64, with minor fixups for Apple syntax. The .asm files wouldn't work directly, either because Apple's pre-release gcc4 doesn't set the 64-bit mode properly for .asm files, or I was missing something in my configure scheme. Using C functions wrapped around asm blocks worked, so I left it at that. I may explore this further when I get the "official" OS/gcc4 release. Or it may become moot when you release GMP 4.2!

Phil McLaughlin

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.