NASM assembly problems

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Sat Apr 16 17:23:13 CEST 2005

Paul Leyland wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 13:12, mrgrynch at comcast.net wrote:
>
>>I have some more information in support of a problem with the build
>>paths.
>>
>>I moved the x86i folder to D\_temp, changed to the folder to
>>D:\_temp\x86i\pentium4\sse2 and executed the following:
>>
>>D:\_temp\x86i\pentium4\sse2>nasm -O9 -Xvc -f win32 -o "submul_1.obj"
>>"submul_1.asm"
>>
>>This worked.
>
> Good.  That's roughly what I suggested, I think --- give an explicit
> path to nasm.

After a bit of detective work, this problem turned out to be the result
of an internal NASM feature and not a difficulty in locating the NASM
executable.

It is a problem that I have reported to the NASM team with a fix but
they have declined to implement this.

Fortunately there is no problem with YASM so I now intend to move over
to this assembler in place of NASM for my native GMP port.

   Brian Gladman