unsigned long long conversion

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Fri Apr 8 09:55:30 CEST 2005

"Francois G. Dorais" <dorais at gauss.dartmouth.edu> writes:

  Though I read this list a lot, I usually keep quiet (mostly because you
  do a fine job at expressing my opinion, but this is an exception.) However, I
  think this is wrong: good features of C99 ought to be suported by GMP. I
  used "ought" instead of "should" because the latter is a strong verb. GMP
  should not support long long on platforms that make it difficult to work with
  them, but it definitely should on platforms which do have good long long
  support.

I'd love to make use of good features of C99 in GMP, but if we
let the compiler used for compiling libgmp determine what
functions to export to the user, then what is the GMP API?  Does
it include a prospective mpz_set_ull or doesn't it?

Perhaps we could say "if you're lucky, mpz_set_ull will be
available on the application target machine and your program will
run; else it will give link errors and will not run." in the GMP
manual.  But I don't think that would be a very good idea.  :-)