div.c and other questions

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Mon Sep 27 16:26:38 CEST 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Patrick Pelissier wrote:

> This is a bug in MSVC! 'near' is declared as a variable of type
> "mp_limb_t"! Are you sure you are using MSVC 6? Aren't there any flags
> to remove this checking?  It will be quite strange if you can't remove
> this checking.  Could you send exactly the modified file so that we can
> check for it?

The problem is that MSVC implemented the 'near' keyword as a modifier to
pointers, like 'const'.  So you could have:
    mp_limb_t near * foo_p;
(foo_p is a near pointer to an mp_limb_t).

I agree that this is a non-conformance to the standard.  But this is also
the company that gave us WinMain().

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian