cryptographically secure?

delta trinity deltatrinity at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 16:03:39 CEST 2004

Well, to be cryptographically secure, you need a *really* random input seed.

Any seed that is not random, as for many of the ones based on the system
clock, is not secure.  Take for example, an algorithm that take the time to
the milli-second of the system, and feed it to the random seed.  Then an
attacker, even knowing a very vague plage of time where you could have run
the algorithm, can deduct a plage of time period and try brute-force attack.

I don't know the distribution of GMP random function, but for it to by
cryptographically secure, it must give an uniform distribution of it's
output, depending of it's input seed.

A way to generate really random input seed, used in many crypto programs, is
based on the mouse input.  Basically, you get a window, for which you must
hoover over it for a few seconds.  The program take the X and Y values and
derive a random sequence (possibly looking only at the lowest bit of the X
and Y values, and making a check to ensure that there isn't too many zeros
or ones).