Compression that can be used with mpz_*_raw

David McKen cic_3_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 04:55:20 CEST 2004

Essentially it boiled down to using the import and export functions
and writing it out using the various reading/writing functions
provided by the compression library, using a temporary buffer.

I have essentially reverse enginered the file format that is used by
mpz_*_raw and found one dicrepancy in the manual concerning the
format. It seems there is an extra byte written after every number,
this byte has the value of '0A' in hex. Other than this byte the
manual is lays out the file format correctly.

If these compression libraries had a C++ stream interface then it
might be possible to implement a way to detect the ios::binary (or
something similar) flag and then have the stream operator write the
number in the binary format instead of text. As of yet I am yet to
find a way to detect this flag, to the best of my knowledge the flag
is disposed of once stream_name.open() returns.

A simpler interface without going to C++ streams is not possible due
to the fact that you cannot stick an intermediate function or layer
between FILE*'s and the implementation. Sadly I don't know how to
create my own specialized C++ stream (a new stream class) which would
have the buffer and call the compression libraries' functions.

Hope this Helps
David McKen