memory requirements? (non-html version)

Johan ... d0nut at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:51:28 CEST 2004

Hi

I downloaded the gmp package today and compiled everything. After I compiled
the calculator demo and tried some numbers I noticed that trying to
calculate the 40th known mersenne prime, which is 2^20996011 - 1, caused the
program to crash. Everything else works nice and smooth though.

Is this some sort of memory issue or is it something else? ...and in that
case, how can I make it work. Btw.. I've got 512mb ram on my win xp
computer.

..and the 40th mersenne prime has 6.3 * 10^6 digits.

c ya!

/Johan