Performance

Kevin Ryde user42 at zip.com.au
Wed Feb 25 09:21:13 CET 2004

[all messages about gmp to the lists, not to me]

Herr Witten <lingwitt at bellsouth.net> writes:

> I am aware that this is not a C list, but could you please explain
> this to me. Thanks.
>
> On 23 Feb 2004, at 3:54 PM, Kevin Ryde wrote:
>
>> That's left to an application.  demos/perl for instance keeps a free
>> list for mpz and mpq (but not mpf because the precision can vary).

A little linked list of available mpz_t's is maintained.  When you
want a new one you take it from that free list, and when you're
finished with it you put it back.  The idea is to avoid doing an init
and clear every time.

(In demos/perl/GMP.xs the operative part of this is hidden in the
CREATE_MPX macro.)