Would someone mind elaborating the explanation in the manual?

Sisyphus kalinabears at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 26 00:22:14 CEST 2003

David McKen wrote:
> Ahh well now that makes sense.
> What I am trying to do is factor a number so the more of the small
> primes that I can test for divisibility the less time I waste trying
> numbers that simply won't divide into my number.

You might be interested in the 'Handbook of Applied Cryptography'.
The entire book can be downloaded from

For algorithms/discussion pertaining to factoring you'll want chapter 3.
For algorithms/discussion pertaining to prime generation and primality
proving you'll want chapter 4.

If your math is a damn sight better than mine you'll also be able to
understand the more sophisticated approaches to factoring and prime
generation covered in 'Prime Numbers A Computational Perspective' by
Crandall and Pomerance. (No link for that one - you gotta get the book.)

Any emails containing attachments will be deleted from my ISP's mail
server before I even get to see them. If you wish to email me an
attachment, please provide advance warning so that I can make the
necessary arrangements.