GMP on Pentium 2

Carl Devore devore at math.udel.edu
Tue Oct 21 13:47:13 CEST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, delta trinity wrote:
> Well, this may be due to several things.  First, I assume that both
> processors are running at the same speed
> First, we would have to see how much cache is present in both systems.  If
> the P2 have less L1/L2 cache than the athlon

I think the OP was saying that both tests were run on the **same** system.
The only difference is that in one case he compiled the code **as if** it
were on an Athlon, even though it was on a Pentium 2.  Thus, the OP
wonders why optimizing for an Athlon actually works better on a Pentium 2
than optimizing for a Pentium 2.