GMP on Pentium 2

delta trinity deltatrinity at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 13:36:54 CEST 2003

Hello Patrick

Well, this may be due to several things.  First, I assume that both
processors are running at the same speed, as you can see the reseults are
almost equals for the greater limbs count.

I don't think that it's correct to assume that the large limb-count produce
faster results here as the difference is only marginal, and most probably
attributed to diferrences between the two systems (environment, which tasks
are running in background, ...).  But indeed, you could tell that it's
faster for lower limb count.

First, we would have to see how much cache is present in both systems.  If
the P2 have less L1/L2 cache than the athlon, this may be the cause indeed.
If it's the case, it's a good demonstration that show the importance of
optimizing critical code to fit inside the CPU cache :)

Eric