impdef, msvc++ 6, and GMP

Kevin Ryde user42 at zip.com.au
Fri Nov 7 09:50:36 CET 2003

Sisyphus <kalinabears at iinet.net.au> writes:

> Is there a way of doing this without 'impdef' ?

Actually, I think .libs/libgmp.dll.a is the import library, but in
"ar" format.  That won't work with msvc will it?  Is there a way to
convert to .lib?

> But did Kevin say that there would be no def file created in future
> builds of GMP ?

Yes, the next libtool doesn't create it any more, since newer binutils
can go directly to libgmp.dll.a.

dlltool can create it though, I think with

	dlltool .libs/libgmp-3.dll --export-all-symbols -z foo.def

Though maybe that gives a few more symbols than it should (some of the
libc stuff).  Maybe that -z needs to be worked into the ld invocation
which creates libgmp-3.dll in the first place.

But in any case perhaps we can recommend dlltool to create the .def,
and lib to create the import library (the way the 4.1.2 manual says).

Would those who use this stuff give it a try?