mpfr

delta trinity deltatrinity@hotmail.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:18:37 -0400

>From: Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org>
>On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:26:48 -0700, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> > What keeps mpfr from replacing mpf ? Taking a quick look at the
> > mpfr, I find that it provides several things that mpf doesn't have.
> > For example
> >     - exception handling for overflow, underflow
> >     - rounding mode
> >     - extra routines like sin, cos, log, etc
>
>But note that overflow/underflow is very partially supported for
>the moment. In most extra functions, "limit" cases (i.e. those
>involving very large or very small numbers) may give unexpected
>results.

To reply to both...

mpfr is not actually written by GMP authors.  It is a third-party project.
Next, it's mostly written in 'C' with almost no (if any) assembly
optimization.
I think that's why it won't replace it for at least a while.
The support site for mpfr can be found at http://www.mpfr.org

I know that there's a lot of bugs that have been fixed.  On the site, you
can find patch files.  I don't know the current status of mpfr.

Eric