Question about mpz_clear

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux@peaktime.be
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:56:28 +0200

Geoff Thorpe wrote:
> Hi Michel et al,
>
> On June 20, 2003 07:47 am, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>
>>Yes, meeting of minds! we already have all these optimisations and some
>>more. The problem is, gprof shows that even with all these
>>optimisations, there is still a lot of overhead for the management of
>>short limbs, which I would like to avoid by having each mpX object use
>>*itself* as pool for allocating its limbs whenever possible.
>

> Ah, well looks like you're going to have to dig into GMP itself. Perhaps
> you might be lucky if there's only a couple of mpX-specific macros or
> functions you need to hook to get it done.

I ithink all I need is to change the API for memory management
functions, and let the compiler guide me.

> BTW: I replied privately to you because your reply to my post had not been
> CC'd to the list.

That was my mistake. I receive several lists, some of them give a
Reply-To, others dont. If I am not careful to hit Reply-All: when
replying to a swox mail, the thread goes private all of a sudden! I was
concerned about the thread becoming impossible to follow by others, so I
directed mail to the list again. But I did not consider you might take
notice of that new privacy.

> I don't think there was anything in my post to worry
> about, but had I known it would be hitting the mail-lists (and thus, the
> archives too) I might have at least double-checked what I'd written
> before sending (rather than hastily blathering, touch-typing, and hitting
> the "send" hotkey without a second thought). AFAIK, general netiquette is
> not to forward copies or quotations from private mail to public lists, at
> least not without first cross-checking with the sender. In this case, no
> harm done.

I know. My apologies.

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles