multiplication of unequal sizes

delta trinity deltatrinity@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:45:04 -0500

Just a guess, maybe you could add the two number size in bits and compare
this with a threshold.

Ex, let's say you have a 1200 bits number and a 3210 bits number.  Then, you
check the sum of that (4410) with a threshold.

By the way, multiplying two numbers of a specific amout of digits will
always give a result that it's maximum number of digits will be the sum of
the number of digits of both source numbers (by mathematical proof...).  Ex,
in the case above, with any numbers of 1200 digits multiplied with any
numbers of 3210 digits (what ever the base is), the result will always be
4410 digits or a bit less (actually, no less than 1 digit less of the sum of
digits, provided that you don't have leeding zeros).