License Compliance Question

DTAshley@aol.com DTAshley@aol.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:27:43 EDT

--part1_9b.37537b3d.2bd04c1f_boundary

In a message dated 4/17/2003 8:31:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mbardiaux@peaktime.be writes:

> LGPL does restrict *distribution*, especially in binary form. If you
> *did* distribute in binary, then (1) the GMP sources, including all
> modifications by you, have to be available (2) the application may *not*
> be statically linked, because that would prevent people from using it
> with another release of GMP.

Hi Mr. Bardiaux,

Thanks for your reply.

The application *is* statically linked.  I had to do that because SourceForge
does not have GMP on their servers, and I could not successfully figure out
how to put the GMP in another location (one I have access to) and dynamically
link with it.

I was aware of (2) in your e-mail above from searching the web.

So, given that the application *is* statically linked, is providing full
source code (so that a person can recompile and link against a new version of
the GMP) enough to meet the license?

Thanks a lot, Dave Ashley.

--part1_9b.37537b3d.2bd04c1f_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 4/17/2003 8:31:09 AM Eastern Daylig=
ht Time, mbardiaux@peaktime.be writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">LGPL does restrict *distributio=
n*, especially in binary form. If you <BR>
*did* distribute in binary, then (1) the GMP sources, including all <BR>
modifications by you, have to be available (2) the application may *not* <BR=

be statically linked, because that would prevent people from using it <BR>
with another release of GMP.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Hi Mr. Bardiaux,<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for your reply.<BR>
<BR>
The application *is* statically linked.&nbsp; I had to do that because Sourc=
eForge does not have GMP on their servers, and I could not successfully figu=
re out how to put the GMP in another location (one I have access to) and dyn=
amically link with it.<BR>
<BR>
I was aware of (2) in your e-mail above from searching the web.<BR>
<BR>
So, given that the application *is* statically linked, is providing full sou=
rce code (so that a person can recompile and link against a new version of t=
he GMP) enough to meet the license?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks a lot, Dave Ashley.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_9b.37537b3d.2bd04c1f_boundary--