Options for x86_64 "versions" for system types

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Fri Mar 8 07:31:46 CET 2024

Albin Ahlbäck <albin.ahlback at gmail.com> writes:

> I cannot see that GMP today allows specifying `--host=x86_64-v3-...'
> or something similar. I suppose that packagers specifying such a host
> triplet could yield speedups for (most?) users downloading precompiled
> binaries on such distributions.

I would not expect any significant speedups for users of gmp fat builds
(which is what most or all distros are providing).

> Have there been thoughts of allowing such triplets?

Is it really "x86_64-v3" with a dash in it? That might complicate the
splitting of a "triplet" into cpu-vendor-os.

I'd expect GMP to support any kind of cpu names supported and encouraged
by autoconf, plus the more specific cpu model names recognized by gmp.

Niels Möller. PGP key CB4962D070D77D7FCB8BA36271D8F1FF368C6677.