hgcd2_jacobi

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jan 22 19:02:59 UTC 2020

tg at gmplib.org (Torbjörn Granlund) writes:

> nisse at lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) writes:
>
>   Should also note that method 2 is not currently selected for any
>   configuration, and also nowhere second best. I'm happy to keep working
>   but non-optimal methods around, except that they inflate the amount of
>   duplicated code.
>
> I read and reread that paragraph, but unfortunately fail to understand
> what you're trying to say.

I'll try to clarify, then.

If we have a working piece of code under #if FOO_METHOD == 4 that's
currently never used, I think it is fine to keep it around, in case it
turns out to be useful on some future processor.

But if we have multiple copies of that unused method, that starts to
bothers me. If we decide to duplicate all the div1 and div2 methods in
both hgcd2.c and hgcd2_jacobi.c, then maybe we should delete the
HGCD2_DIV1_METHOD 2 and/or 4 versions first, to reduce the amount of
code duplication?

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.