mini-gmp and mpq

Daniele Panozzo panozzo at nyu.edu
Sun Feb 18 00:37:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On Feb 17, 2018, at 5:24 PM, Marco Bodrato <bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it> wrote:
>
> Ciao,

>> I'm not sure what the use case was. I guess one could add an mpq.c
>> source file to the mini-gmp directory with mpq functions (that seems
>
> Mee too, I'm not sure about the use case... but a mini-mpq.[ch] couple of
> files seems easy to write. And should be easy to use.

My use case is for a simple, fall-back solution to deploy gmp on windows (even at the cost of performance). Right now it is hard to compile GMP on windows, and using precompiled binaries for continuous integration is a pain (https://github.com/libigl/libigl/pull/701). I would like to have the option to use a smaller and stand-alone pair of .h/.cpp as a default, and use the “real” gmp as an optional dependency. In this way, the code is much easier to deploy (and still usable for simple cases) and a user will only have to install gmp if required for performance reasons.

Having a small mini-mpq that depends on mini-gmp sounds perfect for my use case!

Thanks again,
Daniele