mini-gmp

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Wed Dec 6 20:28:54 UTC 2017

paul zimmermann <Paul.Zimmermann at inria.fr> writes:

>> understand why you need it.
>
> for example, we check the version of GMP is at least 5.0.0:
>
> #if !__MPFR_GMP(5,0,0)
> # error "GMP 5.0.0 or newer is required"
> #endif
>
> where the __MPFR_GMP macro uses __GNU_MP_VERSION, ...

So you can detect that mini-gmp is used with

#ifndef __GNU_MP_VERSION

But that's not the problem?

> Since mini-gmp does not provide any version macro, we can't check
> the version of mini-gmp is good enough.

Is the issue really that you want to distinguish between different
versions of mini-gmp? My recommendation is to including a copy of
mini-gmp with mpfr, and then you know which version you have at any
point, and you can upgrade it in a controlled manner to get new features
or bugfixes.

If we add a version number to mini-gmp, what should it be? The only
"releases" of mini-gmp are gmp releases, should we adopt that, and then
have no well-defined version number for mini-gmp between gmp releases?

I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused, and I don't quite understand what
problem you are aiming to solve with additional defines in mini-gmp.

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.