Help stabilising mini-gmp

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Wed Nov 23 16:00:29 UTC 2016

  For mini-gmp, I think we should get good code coverage with maximum size
  of 10 limbs, maybe even smaller. But it nevertheless makes sense to me
  to include tests on sizes of cryptographic interest (say, up to the
  order of 100 limbs). Not because we expect problems in that range, but
  because that's a relevant use case, and we want to catch also unexpected
  problems...

Indeed.  So perhaps a little larger than 128 limbs, with the
cryptography argument.

  Current testsuite probably isn't very consistent in the size range. If
  we want to set a time budget of around 0.5s per test on a reasonably
  fast machine, I don't have any good intuition on how to trade that in
  terms of sizes and repetition count.

It would be good to stay well under 0.5s on average for modern hardware,
else our emulated and old machines will suffer.  A reasonably goal is to
cover the code with the default seed and not run much more tests than
that.  End users who run the tests check for miscompilations, we check
library correctness with our (seedy!) onslaught.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622