Help stabilising mini-gmp

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Mon Nov 21 21:54:52 UTC 2016

tg at gmplib.org (Torbjörn Granlund) writes:

> If hugely varying operand sizes are motivated (which is the case for
> "big"-GMP with its many operand size dependent algorithm choices) one
> could make operand size selection more complex to allow good coverage
> and less time fluctuations.

For mini-gmp, I think we should get good code coverage with maximum size
of 10 limbs, maybe even smaller. But it nevertheless makes sense to me
to include tests on sizes of cryptographic interest (say, up to the
order of 100 limbs). Not because we expect problems in that range, but
because that's a relevant use case, and we want to catch also unexpected
problems...

Current testsuite probably isn't very consistent in the size range. If
we want to set a time budget of around 0.5s per test on a reasonably
fast machine, I don't have any good intuition on how to trade that in
terms of sizes and repetition count.

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.