Flurry of GMP check failures

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Sun Nov 6 08:10:30 UTC 2016

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

> In the first case, it doesn't matter. In the second case, we would
> have to run benchmarks where one build uses --with-pic and not the
> other. The PIC library is a tiny bit larger (1321280 vs 1319632).
> GMPbench doesn't really see the difference on x86_64 core2 (2117 vs
> 2124), but it may not be the best test for this.

My understanding then, is that at least on x86_64, it's a reasonable
alternative to make assembly files PIC by default. And in case it does
matter for performance in your latter case, you could use --disable-pic
to your list of flags for your machine-specific build.

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.