Flurry of GMP check failures

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Sat Nov 5 21:55:33 UTC 2016

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016, Niels Möller wrote:

> Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:
>
>> Uh? I have 2 very natural use cases for libgmp.a:
>>
>> 1) to build a static (or at least with few dependencies) executable
>> that I am going to send to someone else [...]
>
>> 2) I am rebuilding GMP on my specific platform in order to get the
>> best possible performance. [...]
>
> I see. In these cases, is it important whether or not libgmp.a uses pic
> code?

In the first case, it doesn't matter. In the second case, we would have to
run benchmarks where one build uses --with-pic and not the other. The PIC
library is a tiny bit larger (1321280 vs 1319632). GMPbench doesn't really
see the difference on x86_64 core2 (2117 vs 2124), but it may not be the
best test for this.

--
Marc Glisse