Additional memory handler features.

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Mon Jan 5 07:44:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015, David M. Warme wrote:

> I agree completely.  While I do not mind compiling GMP as C++ code, I
> vigorously reject the recent suggestion of migrating GMP toward a "C++ only"
> code base.  There is too much C code out there that uses GMP, mine included.
> Although it is relatively simple for C++ to call a C library, the reverse is
> indescribably ugly, difficult and non-portable.

If you compile GMP using a C++ compiler today, you get a library that
has the same ABI as with a C compiler, a user cannot see the difference.
If we replaced some aborts with throws, for C users, it would only
change the error message printed when abort occurs.
(I am not advocating C++-only, just replying to the point above)

> Option (3): compile GMP as C++.  But it might also be an interesting
> exercise to see if these mechanisms can be used to translate "raw C"
> GMP exceptions into corresponding C++ exceptions.  This is probably
> already done for certain OS signals (SIGFPE, etc.).

I only know of windows where signals are implemented as exceptions.

--
Marc Glisse