GMP symbol naming (and the history thereof)?

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Thu Feb 28 12:51:29 CET 2013

Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> writes:

> I don't understand why changing the __ prefix to a gmp_ or libgmp_
> namespace would be a problem.

It breaks ABI compatibility (but that's no big problem, since I think we
all agree the change should be done only when we have some other good
reason to break the ABI). And it's going to break some configure
scripts, and programs using dlopen to access GMP symbols.

These are all transition problems. I'm not aware of any other drawbacks.