Race condition in parallel make install?

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Sun Oct 7 19:05:40 CEST 2012

Joerg Arndt <arndt at jjj.de> writes:

  * Torbjorn Granlund <tg at gmplib.org> [Oct 07. 2012 18:03]:
  > Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it> writes:
  >
  >   I believe I discovered a race condition in the Makefiles.
  >   This happened with a `make -j 4 ... install' of GMP 5.0.5
  >   on Mac OS X (Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2):
  >
  > I never considered the possibilty of a parallel install.
  > Does that work for any package?

  Yes ;-)
  And (IMHO) it is a good idea have parallel make working.

And indeed plain make as well as make check works.  Parallel make does
not work in the tune directory, which I don't regard as a problem.

And I've never heard of parallel make install.  If people actually use
that, we should try to fix it.