Race condition in parallel make install?

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Sun Oct 7 18:58:15 CEST 2012

* Torbjorn Granlund <tg at gmplib.org> [Oct 07. 2012 18:03]:
> Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it> writes:
>
>   I believe I discovered a race condition in the Makefiles.
>   This happened with a `make -j 4 ... install' of GMP 5.0.5
>   on Mac OS X (Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2):
>
> I never considered the possibilty of a parallel install.
> Does that work for any package?

Yes ;-)
And (IMHO) it is a good idea have parallel make working.

One has to take care to have the forest of dependencies
completely in the makefiles.  Usually if any dependency
is somehow hidden in a script, you get a race.

I think it is a must to clearly separate .PHONY targets
from the "file targets".

Is there any tool to generate the dependency forest
from a given makefile (as that would help here)?

Best,  jj