GMP 5.0.5 build fails with tcc due to x86_64 asm (unknown register...)

Richard Guenther rguenther at suse.de
Thu Jun 21 10:55:52 CEST 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2012-06-20 21:26:18 +0200, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> > Let's first decide if it is worth spending time on.  Just because
> > somebody writes a "compiler" doesn't mean taat we need to feed GMP to
> > it...
> >
> > Does anybody really need to use tcc for compiling GMP?
>
> Perhaps because of dependency. But I'm not sure (there was a confusing
> Debian bug report suggesting that it was needed).
>
> > Does this compiler have its own (very limited) assembler build-in?
>
> tcc compiles C by generating byte code directly. Thus an assembler
> isn't really needed. It seems to have a very limited assembler,
> though.

But the failure mode is assembling assembler source - GMP should
arrange to not use the compiler driver to assemble but to call
an assembler directly for assembler source.  (yes, the compiler
driver knows which assembler to use, so it's certainly convenient
to use it - but I can see people using a compiler with a built-in
assembler that expects Intel assembler operand ordering instead
of AT&T?)

Just a suggestion ...

Richard.

--