toom54

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Mon Feb 13 13:39:23 CET 2012

  I noticed that toom54 is missing. And it's easy, since all the building
  blocks already are in place. Patch below. Comments?

  I'd expect it to have a place with toom43 and toom44 below, and toom6h
  above, but I have no good guess on how large that place might be.

  Also toom72 is missing, which would use the same interpolation function
  as toom54 and toom63. Not sure how useful that might be.

I am afraid Marco posted both a long time ago (2009?).  They live in
shell:~tege/gmp/mpn/generic/toom{54,72}_mul.c.

You might want to merge your versions.

The diagrams at https://gmplib.org/devel/ include timing for Marco's
functions.  It seems toom54 is quite useful, toom72 less so.  (These
diagrams are from 2009, things will have changed.)

The tricky part might be making good use of them in mul.c.  (I suppose
we never checked them in because we never fixed mul.c.)