Support for w*ndows

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Fri Dec 2 14:48:49 CET 2011

> I put on my TODO list after you sent your initial message to setup
> nightly testing using wine.  Does user-level instructions run natively
> on the CPU, or is there qemu-like translation going on?

I'm fairly sure the instructions run natively. *Maybe* you can hook in
some cpu emulator if the native system is not of the same type. Still,
there seems to be a lot of overhead, running make check under wine takes
5:10 here, to be compared to 1:38 for an elf 32-bit build on the same
hardware. I'm not familiar with how wine really works, so I can't say
where this difference comes from, or if it should be expected.

> You are of course most welcome to debug these failures...

I wonder if one can build a wine-targeted gdb...

In one way, it's easier to debug assembly routines where you don't care
so much about the source code. Then one can simply put in an breakpoints
with the int $3 instruction when compiling, and then start wine under
gdb. Then tell wine to execute the program to be debugged, and it stops
nicely in gdb when it reaches the break point.

And it would be nice if someone who really cares about windows support
could test on a native system to see if it fails in the same way.

/nisse